Sunday, January 16, 2011

Soundwave Sunday Morning


This morning I was up at the crack of dawn. I was also up at the dawn of crack, but that's another story....




Sparky tunes - Mikey and Zak chat


GOTS took over the stage room at Oakland's Soundwave studios this morning to run through the Rodent to Rodent set. If you were imagining how much fun in was - if you could imagine that much fun - you couldn't imagine the fun we had because it was unimaginable!
You don't mess around with Jim
Jim brought his entire arsenal of two basses plus his ultra-awesome bass rig. It's got BOOM goin' on. Jim, of course, plays drums for the mighty Backorders but holds down the bottom for GOTS. "One day", he says, "I've gotta learn the names of all these notes..." Now, that's rock 'n' roll!!

I want to again thank those of you who have purchased your tickets - and I want to remind those of you who haven't - and there's a lot of you - to order yours now! You'll save 3 bucks off the door price. And we'd really like to see you there. This could very well be the only time Rodent to Rodent is presented this way.
Sound check!! Cool rug.
I am really thrilled by how things are progressing. This was the very first time that GOTS got up on a stage together and we are playing together like a bandy band band! Something very unusual happened at rehearsal - I broke a string! THAT'S ROCK 'N' ROLL!!! YEARGH!! Also I got reacquainted with Soundwave's owner, Al, who used to rent rehearsal space to my band back in '85!
Special, very patient, guests - The Lovebirds


I am very fortunate to have these talented and willing people in my musical life. The GOTS auxiliary, Greg Reznick and Robin Famous - you may know them from the mighty Backorders - are bolstering the sound with guitars and keys and voices. Robin in particular is displaying untold courage and patience, tackling unfamiliar instruments and learning material that is just ever so slightly out of her comfort zone. Greg, of course, besides being the commander-in-chief of the Martin Army, continues to be thoughtful and level-headed when I am anything but.
Mikey prepare to unleash the magic trumpet. Or maybe he's putting it away.


Mikey is our front man, dramatic centerpiece and the lightning rod for all of our hopes and dreams. He and I are writing songs for the next phase of the musical legend-in-the making that is GOTS. He's got the moves, the 'tude and, most of all, teen appeal. We are not making him do this. He wants to be in a band with his dad, his step-mom, his crazy uncle, his cousin and Jim.
Zak Grinstead: "You know what happens this year? I get my permit."

Zak is the beating heart of GOTS. Zak is not the least bit intimidated by the fact that his dad and two eldest sibs are accomplished drummers. He has invented his own style of playing that he calls "The way I play" and it perfectly suits the music of GOTS. Is it controlled chaos or chaotic control? Is it either or neither? Is it really possible to bake four-and-twenty blackbirds in a pie? And why not just say "twenty four"? This is the kind of stuff I think about sometimes.




No comments:

Post a Comment